Achelous sentence example
- Alpheus was recognized in cult and myth as the chief or typical river-god in the Peloponnesus, as was Achelous in northern Greece.
- and exercised all the real power from 919 to 944, was admiral of the Byzantine fleet on the Danube when, hearing of the defeat of the army at Achelous (917), he resolved to sail for Constantinople.
- Achelous >>
- He wrestles with Achelous for Deianeira (" destructive to husband "), daughter of Oeneus, king of Calydon, vanquishes the river god, and breaks off one of his horns, which as a horn of plenty is found as an attribute of Hercules in art.
- 16 represents Heracles wrestling with the river-god Achelous; fig.Advertisement
- Such a spot he found at the mouth of the river Achelous, where an island had recently been formed by the alluvial deposit; here he settled and, forgetting his wife Arsinoe, married Callirrhoe, the daughter of the river-god.
- by the river Achelous, on the N.
- The basins of the lower Achelous (mod.
- ACHELOUS (mod.
- impetuosity; and its upper portion was called by some Inachus, the name Achelous being restricted to the shorter eastern.Advertisement
- Achelous is coupled with Ocean by Homer (Il.
- Amaltheia gave it to Achelous (her reputed brother), who exchanged it for his own horn which had been broken off in his contest with Heracles for the possession of Deianeira.
- According to some authorities the nymph Castalia was the daughter of Achelous; according to others the water of the spring was derived from the Boeotian Cephissus.
- Thyamus and the Achelous.
- Its most populous region was the plain of the Achelous, commanded by the principal town Stratus; communication with the coast was impeded by mountain ridges and lagoons.Advertisement