Achaemenid sentence example
- His family belonged to the clan of the Achaemenidae - in the inscription on the pillars and columns of the palace of Pasargadae (Murghab) he says: "I am Cyrus the king, the Achaemenid" - the principal clan (cbprp'q) of the Persian tribe of the Pasargadae.
- The principal ruins of the town of Pasargadae at Murghab are a great terrace like that of Persepolis, and the remainders of three buildings, on which the building inscription of Cyrus, "I Cyrus the king the Achaemenid" (sc. " have built this"),, occurs five times in Persian, Susian and Babylonian.
- Under the Sassanids the old Persian worship, which had fallen with the Achaemenid dynasty in Alexander's time, and Muller, Epigraphische Denkmdler aus Arabien (Vienna, 1889).
- As Buhler shows in detail, the Kharosthi alphabet is derived from the alphabet of the Aramaic inscriptions which date from the earlier part of the Achaemenid period.
- Even the glories of the Achaemenid Empire faded rapidly, and all but completely, from recollection; so also the conquest of Alexander, and the Hellenistic and Parthian eras.Advertisement
- These traits are most clearly marked in Judaism; but, after the Achaemenid period, they are common to all Oriental creeds, though our information as to most is scanty in the extreme, In this competition of religions that of Iran played a most spirited part.
- So, with the collapse of the empire, the imperial art vanishes also: and when, some 500 years later, a new art arose under the Sassanids, whose achievements stand to those of Achaemenid art in much the same relation as the achievements of the two dynasties to each other, we discover only isolated reminiscences of its predecessor.
- That the native tradition almost entirely forgot the Achaemenid Empire, has been mentionedabove.
- To most of the provinces the Achaemenid dominion was synonymous with two centuries of peace and order.
- This idea of universal conquest was with him a conception much stronger developed than that which had inspired the Achaemenid rulers, and he entered on the project with full consciousness in the strictest sense of the phrase.Advertisement
- These states were fragments of the Achaemenid Empire, which had safely transferred themselves to the Heilenistic state-system.
- Again, they perpetuate the traditions of the Achaemenid Empire.
- It is, rather, a continua- Sassanian tion of the Achaemenid traditions which were still Wars with alive on their native soil.