Acetabulum sentence example
- The acetabulum is the socket of the hip joint.
- There are only two or three vertebrae which are equivalent to those of the reptiles; these true sacrals are situated in a level just behind the acetabulum; as a rule between these two primary sacral vertebrae issues the last of the spinal nerves which contributes to the composition of the sciadic plexus.
- In front of the acetabulum a thick process of the ilium descends to meet the pubis, and a similar process behind meets the ischium.
- The acetabulum is completely surrounded by these three bones, but its cup always retains an open foramen; from its posterior rim arises the strong antitrochanter.
- Ilium; Is, ischium; Pb, pubis; d.l, dorso-lumbar vertebrae; Cd, caudal vertebrae; Am, acetabulum.Advertisement
- ACETABULUM, the Latin word for a vinegar cup, an ancient Roman vessel, used as a liquid measure (equal to about half a gill); it is also a word used technically in zoology, by analogy for certain cup-shaped parts, e.g.
- The ball is formed by the upper end of the femur, and the socket by part of the pelvis called the acetabulum.
- The part of the capsule attached to the acetabulum was also reflected upwards to show the acetabular labrum.
- in.; and to both systems were added from the Attic the cyathus (2.87 cub in.), acetabulum (4.3 cub.
- In a child with Marfan, the acetabulum becomes deeper than normal during growth, for reasons that are not yet understood.Advertisement
- During gestation, the infant's hip should be developing with the head of the thigh bone (femur) sitting perfectly centered in its shallow socket (acetabulum).
- The acetabulum should cover the head of the femur as if it were a ball sitting inside of a cup.
- In the event of congenital hip dysplasia, the development of the acetabulum in an infant allows the femoral head to ride upward out of the joint socket, especially when the infant begins to walk.
- The objective of treatment is to replace the head of the femur into the acetabulum and, by applying constant pressure, to enlarge and deepen the socket.
- In the early 2000s, the Pavlik harness and von Rosen splint are commonly used in infants up to the age of six months to spread the legs apart and force the head of the femur into the acetabulum.Advertisement
- Operations are performed to reduce the dislocation of the hip and to repair a defect in the acetabulum.