Orders: Myriapoda, Arachnida (Accra, Latr.), and Hexapoda.
ACCRA, a port on the Gulf of Guinea in 5° 31' N., 0° 12' W., since 1876 capital of the British Gold Coast colony.
Accra is about 80 m.
Accra preserves the distinctions of James Town, Ussher Town and Christiansborg, indicative of its tripartite origin.
(Accra is almost the only point along the Gold Coast where horses thrive.) Behind the town is rolling grass land, which gives place to the highlands of Aquapim and Akim.
Of Accra, are the government sanatorium and botanical gardens.
Accra, the first town in the Gold Coast colony to be raised (July 1, 1896) to the rank of a municipality, is governed by a town council with power to raise and spend money.
Accra is connected by cable with Europe and South Africa, and is the sea terminus of a railway serving the districts N.E., where are flourishing cocoa plantations.
In consequence of repeated invasions of Fantiland by the Ashanti, the British in 1817 sent Frederick James, commandant of Accra fort, T.
The kola nut, chewed by almost every native of the country, is brought from west of the Niger, traders from Ashanti, Accra and Yorubaland frequenting the markets of Jegga.