Abridgments sentence example
- It was popular in the middle ages, hexameter abridgments being current under the names of Theodericus and Petrus Diaconus.
- Yet Homilies and Recognitions are abridgments made on different principles and convey rather different impressions to their readers.
- The Histoire went through many editions, being revised and augmented from time to time by Raynal; it was translated into the principal European languages, and appeared in various abridgments.
- A second enlarged edition (16 vols.) was issued from 1787 to 1794, and was succeeded by many others, besides abridgments in German, French and English.
- Ibn Batuta's travels have only been known in Europe during the 19th century; at first merely by Arabic abridgments in the Gotha and Cambridge libraries.Advertisement
- Abridgments and newer treatises soon drove out the writings of Aristarchus and other founders of the science.
- There are also several abridgments.
- They are abridgments made in Norway by Icelanders for their Norwegian patrons, the Life of St Olaf alone being preserved intact, for the great interest of the Norwegians lay in him, but all the other Kings' Lives being more or less mutilated, so that they cannot be trusted for historic purposes; nor do they give a fair idea of Snorri's style.