Abietic sentence example
- Resin soaps are compounds of soda or potash with the complex acids (chiefly abietic) of which coniferous resins consist.
- Examples of resin acids are abietic (sylvic) acid, C19H2802, occurring in colophony, and pimaric acid, C20H3002, a constituent of gallipo resin.
- Abietic acid can be extracted from colophony by means of hot alcohol; it crystallizes in leaflets, and on oxidation yields trimellitic, isophthalic and terebic acid.
- Pimaric acid closely resembles abietic acid into which it passes when distilled in a vacuum; it has been supposed to consist of three isomers.
- Rosin consists mainly of abietic acid, and combines with caustic alkalis to form salts (rosinates or pinates) that are known as "rosin soaps."Advertisement