Aard-vark sentence example
- Aard-Vark >>
- AARD-VARK (meaning "earth-pig"), the Dutch name for the mammals of genus Orycteropus, confined to Africa (see Edentata).
- capensis, or Cape ant-bear from South Africa, and the northern aard-vark (0.
- In colour the Cape aard-vark is pale sandy or yellow, the hair being scanty and allowing the skin to show; the northern aard-vark has a still thinner coat, and is further distinguished by the shorter tail and longer head and ears.
- Very generally the tail has distinctly the appearance of an appendage, but in some of the lower mammals, such as the thylacine among marsupials, and the aard-vark or ant-bear among the edentates, it is much thickened at the root, and passes insensibly into the body, after the fashion common among reptiles.Advertisement
- The gradual passage of the thick root of the tail into the body is a character common to the Tasmanian wolf and the aard-vark, and may be directly inherited from reptilian ancestors (see Thylacine).