1214) made it a royal burgh, but the oldest existing charter was granted by Robert II.
DUFFTOWN, a municipal and police burgh of Banffshire, Scotland, on the Fiddich, 64 m.
GALASHIELS, a municipal and police burgh of Selkirkshire, Scotland.
Galashiels was created into a burgh of barony in 1599.
CALLANDER, a police burgh of Perthshire, Scotland, 16 m.
LANARK, a royal, municipal and police burgh, and county town of Lanarkshire, Scotland, standing on high ground about half a mile from the right bank of the Clyde, 31 m.
Hubert de Burgh was the last of the great justiciars; after his fall (1231) the justiciarship was not again committed to a great baron, and the chancellor soon took the position formerly occupied by the justiciar as second to the king in dignity, as well as in power and influence.
He left one son, his successor Alexander II., and two daughters, Margaret and Isabella, who were sent to England after the treaty of 1209, and who both married English nobles, Margaret becoming the wife of Hubert de Burgh.He also left some illegitimate children.
CARNOUSTIE, a police burgh and watering-place of Forfarshire, Scotland.
A huge car drawn by oxen, bearing the standard of the burgh, and carrying an altar with the host, this carroccio, like the ark of the Israelites, formed a rallying point in battle, and reminded the armed artisans that they had a city and a church to fight for.
There is not a burgh of northern Italy but can trace the rise of a dynastic house to the vicissitudes of this period.
MUSSELBURGH, a municipal and police burgh of Midlothian, Scotland, 52 m.
The burgh, which stretches for a mile along the south shore of the Firth of Forth, is intersected by the Esk and embraces the village of Fisherrow on the left bank of the river.
Near the tolbooth stands the market cross, a stone column with a unicorn on the top supporting the burgh arms. At the west end of High Street is a statue of David Macbeth Moir ("Delta," 1798-1851), Musselburgh's most famous son.
LOCHGILPHEAD, a municipal and police burgh of Argyllshire, Scotland, at the head of Loch Gilp, a small arm on the western side of Loch Fyne.
CASTLE DOUGLAS, a burgh of barony and police burgh of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.
FORRES (Gaelic, far uis, " near water"), a royal and police burgh of Elginshire, Scotland.
STRANRAER, a royal and police burgh and seaport of Wigtownshire, Scotland.
Stranraer, originally called St John's Chapel, became a burgh of barony in 1596, and a royal burgh in 1617.
DALBEATTIE, a police burgh of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.
After speaking of Ranulf's unique position in the kingdom, which "fitted him for the part of a leader of opposition to royal or ministerial tyranny," Stubbs sums up his character in these words: "On more than one occasion he refused his consent to taxation which he deemed unjust; his jealousy of Hubert (de Burgh), although it led him to join the foreign party in 1223, did not prevent him from more than once interposing to prevent his overthrow.
During the 13th and 14th centuries the castle and lordship changed hands very frequently; they were granted successively to Hubert de Burgh, whose son forfeited them after the battle of Evesham, to Richard, earl of Cornwall, whose son Edmund died without issue; to Piers Gaveston, and lastly to John of Gaunt, duke of Lancaster, and so to the Crown as parcel of the duchy of Lancaster.
DUMFRIES (Gaelic, "the fort in the copse"), a royal and parliamentary burgh and capital of the county, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
As a parliamentary burgh Dumfries includes Maxwelltown, on the opposite side of the river, which otherwise belongs to Kirkcudbrightshire.
From this time to nearly the close of the 16th century the burgh was exposed to frequent raids, both from freebooters on the English side and from partisans of the turbulent chiefsDouglases, Maxwells, Johnstones.
1327), daughter of Richard de Burgh, earl of Ulster, whom he had married about 1304, and who bore him late his only son, David, who succeeded him.
KINGHORN, a royal and police burgh of Fifeshire, Scotland.
Created Kinghorn a burgh, but his connexion with the town proved fatal to him.
As he was riding from Inverkeithing on the 12th of March 1286 he was thrown by his horse and fell over the cliffs, since called King's Wud End, a little to the west of the burgh, and killed.
Baldwin de Burgh, the future Baldwin II., ruled in Edessa as the vassal of Baldwin I.
The constant pressure of Tancred of Antioch and Baldwin de Burgh of Edessa led to a series of retaliations between 11 io and 1115; Edessa was attacked in 1110, 1111, 1112 and 1114; and in 1113 Maudud of Mosul had even penetrated as far as the vicinity of Acre and Jerusalem.
LOCKERBIE, a municipal and police burgh of Dumfriesshire, Scotland, in the district of Annandale, 142 m.
MOFFAT, a burgh of barony, and police burgh, of Upper Annandale, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
The spa, a mile to the north of the town, was acquired by the burgh commissioners in 1898, and there are also spas at Hartfell (32 m.
ALLOA, a municipal and police burgh and seaport of Clackmannanshire, Scotland.
Thomson Paton; the county and municipal buildings; handsome public baths and gymnasium, presented to the town by Mr David Thomson; the accident hospital; the fever hospital; the museum of the Natural Science and Archaeological Society; the academy, the burgh school and a secondary school with the finest technical equipment in Scotland, given by Mr A.
BURGH [[[Bourke|BOURKE]], ], the name of an historic Irish house, associated with Connaught for more than seven centuries.
It was founded by William de Burgh, brother of Hubert de Burgh.
He married a daughter of Henry, earl of Lancaster, and was appointed lieutenant of Ireland in 1331, but was murdered in his 21st year, leaving a daughter, the sole heiress, not only of the de Burgh possessions, but of vast Clare estates.
On the murder of the 3rd earl (1333), his male kinsmen, who had a better right, by native Irish ideas, to the succession than his daughter, adopted Irish names and customs, and becoming virtually native chieftains succeeded in holding the bulk of the de Burgh territories.
The family, which changed its name from Bourke to de Burgh in 1752, and added that of Canning in 1862, still own a vast estate in County Galway.
The lords Burgh or Borough of Gainsborough (1487-1599) were a Lincolnshire family believed to be descended from a younger son of Hubert de Burgh.
It is said to be the Burgh Westra of Sir Walter Scott's Pirate.
BRECHIN, a royal, municipal and police burgh of Forfarshire, Scotland.
Gave a grant for founding a hospital in the burgh, which yet supplies the council with funds for charity.
The royal burgh of Earlsferry (pop. 317) is situated in the parish of Elie, which it adjoins on the west.
DOUNE, a police burgh of Perthshire, Scotland, 84 m.
EDINBURGH, a city and royal burgh, and county of itself, the capital of Scotland, and county town of Edinburghshire, or Midlothian, situated to the south of the Firth of Forth, 396 m.
An important accession of territory was gained in 1896, when portions of the parishes of Liberton and Duddingston and the police burgh of Portobello were incorporated.
The Royal high school, the burgh school par excellence, dates from the 16th century, but the beautiful Grecian buildings on the southern face of Calton Hill, opened in 1829, are its third habitation.
The seaport of Leith, though a distinct burgh, governed by its own magistrates, and electing its own representative to parliament, has also on its southern side become practically united to its great neighbour.
FORT WILLIAM, a police burgh of Inverness-shire, Scotland.
The fort, at first called Kilmallie, was built by General Monk in 1655 to hold the Cameron men in subjection, and was enlarged in 1690 by General Hugh Mackay, who renamed it after William III., the burgh then being known as Maryburgh in honour of his queen.
BROUGHTY FERRY, a municipal and police burgh, seaport and watering-place of Forfarshire, Scotland, on the Firth of Tay, 4 m.
DYSART, a royal and police burgh and seaport of Fifeshire, Scotland, on the shore of the Firth of Forth, 2 m.
Scarcely anything is left of the old chapel dedicated to St Dennis, which for a time was used as a smithy; and of the chapel of St Serf, the patron saint of the burgh, only the tower remains.
STROMNESS, a police burgh and seaport, in the island of Pomona, county of Orkney, Scotland.
MAXWELLTOWN, a burgh of barony and police burgh of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.
It was a hamlet known as Bridgend up till 1810, in which year it was erected into a burgh of barony under its present name.
COWDENBEATH, a police burgh, Fifeshire, Scotland, 54 m.
Sigeberht also founded a school in East Anglia, and on the arrival of an Irish missionary named Furseus he built him a monastery at Cnobheresburg, perhaps to be identified with Burgh Castle.
LERWICK, a municipal and police burgh of Shetland, Scotland, the most northerly town in the British Isles.
CRIEFF, a police burgh of Perthshire, Scotland, capital of Strathearn, 171 m.