Zula sentence example
- The only result of his enterprise was the abortive treaty for the cession to France of Zula, now in the Italian colony of Eritrea.
- Zula >>
- - The principal places on the coast are Massawa, pop. about 10,000, the chief seaport of the colony, Assab, chief town of the Danakil region, to which converges the trade from Abyssinia across the Aussa country, and Zula, identified with the ancient Adulis.
- Adulis (Adovlis), slightly to the north of Zula, was the chief Axumite port.
- In the 16th century the Turks made themselves masters of Zula, Massawa, &c., and these places were never recovered by the Abyssinians.Advertisement
- The landingplace selected was Mulkutto (Zula), on Annesley Bay, the point of the coast nearest to the site of the ancient Adulis, and we are told that "the pioneers of the English expedition followed to some extent in the footsteps of the adventurous soldiers of Ptolemy, and met with a few faint traces sir R obert of this old-world enterprise" C. R.
- In January 1886 Ras Alula raided the village of Wa, to the west of Zula, but towards the end of the year (23rd November) \Va was occupied by the irregular troops of General Gene, who had superseded Colonel Saiettaat Massawa.