Zrinyi sentence example
- On the 15th of June 1682 he married Helen Zrinyi, the widow of Prince Francis Rakoczy I.
- The attempts of the Habsburgs to conquer Transylvania drew down upon them two fresh Turkish invasions, the first in 1552, when the sultan's generals captured Temesvar and fifty-four lesser forts or fortresses, and the second in 1566, memorable as Suleiman's last descent upon Hungary, and also for the heroic defence of Szigetvar by Miklos Zrinyi, one of the classical sieges of history.
- In the following year, thanks to the generalship and heroism of Miklos Zrinyi the younger (q.v.), Kuprili was still less successful.
- Zrinyi captured fortress after fortress, and interrupted the Turkish communications by destroying the famous bridge of Esseg, while Montecuculi defeated the grand vizier at the battle of St Gothard (Aug.
- The stupid and abortive conspiracy of Peter Zrinyi and three other magnates, who were publicly executed (April 30, 1671), was followed by wholesale arrests and confisca 1 The jobbagyok, or under-tenants, had to follow the example of their lords; they were, by this time, mere serfs with no privileges either political or religious.Advertisement
- In polite literature the heroic poem Zrinyidsz (1651), descriptive of the fall of Sziget, by Nicholas Zrinyi, grandson of the defender of that fortress, marks a new era in Hungarian poetry.
- As a sonnet writer none stands higher than Paul Szemere, known also for his rendering of Korner's drama Zrinyi (1818), and his contributions to the Elet es Literatura (Life and Literature).
- There is more than one meaning of Zrinyi discussed in the 1911 Encyclopedia.
- high, stands the old fort of Munkács, which played an important part in Hungarian history, and was especially famous for its heroic defence by Helene Zrinyi, wife of Emeric Tdkdli and mother of Francis Rakoczy II., for three years against the Austrians (1685-1688).
- Count Miklos Zrinyi (Hero) >>Advertisement
- In 1663 he fought, along with Miklos Zrinyi, against the Turks, and distinguished himself under Montecuculi.
- high, stands the old fort of MunkÃ¡cs, which played an important part in Hungarian history, and was especially famous for its heroic defence by Helene Zrinyi, wife of Emeric Tdkdli and mother of Francis Rakoczy II., for three years against the Austrians (1685-1688).