Zopf sentence example
- Zukal has considered that the lichen acids protect the lichen from the attacks of animals; the experiments of Zopf, however, have cast doubt on this; certainly lichens containing very bitter acids are eaten by mites though some of the acids appear to be poisonous to frogs.
- Zopf, " Vergleichende Produkte," Beitr.
- Teil (1892 onwards); Zopf, Die Pilze (Breslau, 1890); De Bary, Comparative Morphology of Fungi, &c. (Oxford, 1887); von Tafel, Vergleichende Morphologie der Pilze (Jena, 1892); Brefeld, Ureters.
- Spores and Sporophores: Zopf, Die Pilze; also the works of von Tafel and Brefeld.
- The supposed constancy of forms in Cohn's species and genera received a shock when Lankester in 1873 pointed out that his Bacterium rubescens (since named Beggiatoa roseo-persicina, Zopf) passes through conditions which would have been described by most observers influenced by the current doctrine as so many separate " species " or even " genera," - that in fact forms known as Bacterium, Hicrococcus, Bacillus, Leptothrix, &c., occur as phases in one life-history.Advertisement
- (After Zopf.) A.
- Zoogloea of Bacterium merismopedioides, Zopf, containing cocci arranged in tablets.
- broad according to Zopf), highly refractive and colourless (or very dark, probably owing to the high index of refraction and minute size).
- Zopf in 1885 proposed a scheme based on the acceptance of extreme views of pleomorphism; his system, however, was extraordinarily A FIG.