Zhupan sentence example
- plane), more or less related to each other, occupied a certain territory, which as a geographical and political unit was called Zhupa or Zhupaniya (county), the political and military chief of which was called Zhupan.
- The more powerful Zhupan was tempted to subjugate and absorb the neighbouring less powerful Zhupaniyas: If successful, he would take the title of Veliki Zhupan (Grand Zhupan).
- Zhupan Visheslav lived in the beginning of the 9th century, and seems to have been the descendant of that leader of the Serbs who signed the settlement treaty with the emperor Heraclius towards the middle of the 7th century.
- A change for the better began when Stephen Nemanya became the Grand Zhupan of Rashka (1169).
- One of the minor causes of that turbulence is to be found in the struggle between the ancient Slavonic order of inheritance, according to which a Zhupan ought to be succeeded by the oldest member of the family and not necessarily by his own son, and the natural desire of every ruler that his own son should inherit the throne.Advertisement
- In all important transactions the Servians were led by the Grand Zhupan Mutimir Visheslavich (d.