Zeuthen sentence example
- Zeuthen, Geschichte der Mathematik im 16.
- Zeuthen, Die Lehre von den Kegelschnitten im Altertum (Copenhagen, 1886 and 1902).
- Zeuthen that at most eight of these are real.
- It was assumed by Plucker that the number of real double tangents might be 28, 16, 8, 4 or o, but Zeuthen has found that the last case does not exist.
- But although we thus arrive by projection at the notion of a circuit, it is not necessary to go out of the plane, and we may (with Zeuthen, using the shorter term circuit for his complete branch) define a circuit as any portion (of a curve) capable of description by the continuous motion of a point, it being understood that a passage through infinity is permitted.Advertisement
- Zeuthen in the case of curves of any given order establishes between the characteristics pc, v, and 18 other quantities, in all 20 quantities, a set of 24 equations (equivalent to 2 3 independent equations), involving(besides the 20 quantities) other quantities relating to the various forms of the degenerate curves, which supplementary terms he determines, partially for curves of any order, but completely only for quartic curves.