Zethelstan sentence example
- Raegenald was succeeded by Sihtric (Sigtryggr, another grandson of I'varr), who married ZEthelstan's sister.
- From this time, probably, East Anglia was governed by English earls, the most famous of whom were zEthelstan, surnamed Half - King (932-956) and his sons, lEthelwold (956-962), and tEthelwine, surnamed Dei amicus (962-992).
- Derbyshire probably originated as a shire in the time of ZEthelstan, but for long it maintained a very close connexion with Nottinghamshire, and the Domesday Survey gives a list of local customs affecting the two counties alike.
- The first mention of "that place called Weymouth" occurs in a charter of King Ethelred (866-871), while it is again spoken of in a charter of King ZEthelstan (895-940).
- Under ZEthelstan we find the city increasing in importance and general prosperity.Advertisement
- In subsequent history there is a good deal of resemblance between the capitularies' legislation of Charlemagne and his successors on one hand, the acts of Alfred, Edward the Elder, ZEthelstan and Edgar on the other, a resemblance called forth less by direct borrowing of Frankish institutions than by the similarity of political problems and condition.
- In 929 he married Edith, daughter of Edward the Elder, king of the English, and sister of the reigning sovereign ZEthelstan.
- With regard to Ecgbert the word is doubtless given as a title in imitation of its earlier use, and the same remark applies to its use in ZEthelstan's charter.