Zethelberht sentence example
- In 794 he appears to have caused the death of ZEthelberht of East Anglia, though some accounts ascribe the murder to Cynethryth, the wife of Offa.
- ZEthelberht, king of Wessex, was buried here by the side of his brother iEthelbald in 866.
- Already in ZEthelberht's legislation we find characteristic fines inflicted for breach of the peace of householders of different ranks - the ceorl, the eorl, and the king himself appearing as the most exalted among them.
- Before ZEthelberht a similar position had been held by the West Saxon king Ceawlin, and at a much earlier period, according to tradition, by Ella or ZElle, the first king of Sussex.
- An undated grant is made by Nunna about this time, which is witnessed by a King ZEthelberht.Advertisement
- Offa also appears as witness to two charters of an ZEthelberht, king of the South Saxons, and in 772 he grants land himself in Sussex, with Oswald, dux of the South Saxons, as a witness.
- Silchester was taken, and moving eastwards Ceawlin and his brother Cutha defeated the forces of ZEthelberht, king of Kent, at the battle of Wibbandun in 568.