Zeebrugge sentence example
- The new ship canal from Zeebrugge will not revive the ancient port, as it follows a different route, leaving Damme and Ecluse quite untouched.
- Two miles north of this place along the dunes is Zeebrugge, the point at which the new ship-canal from Bruges enters the North Sea.
- - Among the British naval operations in the World War none created more interest than the attack on the Germans at Zeebrugge and Ostend, on the Belgian coast, in 1918.
- Ever since the German occupation of the Belgian coast, Zeebrugge had been a source of anxiety to the Dover Patrol.
- The main object of the enterprise was to block the harbours of Zeebrugge and Ostend.Advertisement
- The actual harbour of Zeebrugge is small and is formed by a long curved mole on the western side, whose assault was an important part of the operation.
- The approach to the entrance of the ship canal at Zeebrugge was under the :fire of the Goeben battery of 4 8.2-in.
- A strong body of 15 destroyers was attached to the Zeebrugge force under Capt.
- Wilfred Tomkinson (" Phoebe," North Star," Trident," Mansfield," Whirlwind," Myngs," Velox," Morris Moorsom Melpomene, "Tempest" and "Tetrarch" to escort the force and cover it to seaward; "Termagant," "Truculent" and "Manly" to screen the Zeebrugge monitors).
- The object of the attack on the mole at Zeebrugge was first to seize the battery at the seaward end and prevent it firing at the block ships, and then to demolish the structures on it as far as possible.Advertisement
- The distance from Dover to Zeebrugge was 63 miles.
- The bombardment was to begin at 11:20 P.M., simultaneously at Zeebrugge and Ostend.
- They came to Zeebrugge r Ostend kc a lookout station which they captured.
- The greatest losses were in the Channel where the Flanders flotilla worked, and the blow they would have received by the blocking of Zeebrugge and Ostend was well worth the risk.
- Ostend, though the width of the entrance was reduced probably to 300 ft., was not closed, and though the ships sunk in Zeebrugge must have caused great inconvenience and delay it may be doubted whether they actually stopped the passage of submarines for more than a month.Advertisement
- The blocking of Zeebrugge and Ostend offered a good prospect of success and was within a reasonable distance of it.
- A steam service was established in 1906 from Hull to Bruges by Zeebrugge and the ship canal.
- Commercial activity has been assisted by the new ship-canal to Zeebrugge, and by direct steamship service from Hull to Bruges.