Zachary taylor sentence example
- This situation did not last long, however, for on the 3rd of March 1849 the bill organizing the territory of Minnesota was passed, and on the 19th President Zachary Taylor appointed Alexander Ramsey of Pennsylvania the first territorial governor.
- His associations and predilections were with the Whigs, and he was a delegate to the National Convention that nominated General Zachary Taylor in 1848.
- An army of 2000 men under Zachary Taylor arrived on the north bank of the Rio Grande, opposite Matamoras, on the 28th of March 1846.
- In November 1847 he was elected comptroller of the state of New York, and in 1848 he was elected vice-president of the United States on the ticket with Zachary Taylor as president.
- Importance attaches chiefly to the movements of the first force under General Zachary Taylor.Advertisement
- It was not till the 5th of September 1846 that General Zachary Taylor could leave his depot at Camargo on the Rio Grande, and march on Monterey.
- In the Mexican War he served as a brigadier-general of volunteers under General Zachary Taylor on the Rio Grande, under General John E.
- For several years after 1840 Zachary Taylor made his home on a plantation near Baton Rouge.
- The boyhood and youth of Zachary Taylor were thus passed in the midst of the stirring frontier scenes of early Kentucky, and from this experience he acquired the hardihood and resoluteness that characterized his later life, although he inevitably lacked the advantages of a thorough education.
- During the war between Mexico and the United States General Zachary Taylor arrived before the city on the 19th of September 1846, with about 6600 men.Advertisement
- He wrote, amongst other works, Donald's Schooldays (1877); Chief Joseph (1881); a life of General Zachary Taylor (1892) in the "Great Commanders" series; Isabella of Castile (1894); Fighting for Humanity (1898); Henry in the War (1898); papers in the "Battles and Leaders" collection on the Atlanta campaign; My Life and Experience among our Hostile Indians (1907); and Autobiography of O.
- of the city are the old home and the grave (with a monument) of Zachary Taylor.
- During this short period in the cabinet he established the naval academy at Annapolis, gave the orders which led to the occupation of California, and sent Zachary Taylor into the debatable land between Texas and Mexico.
- In 1848 he received the Demo ratic nomination for the presidency, but owing to the defection of the so-called " Barnburners (see Free-Soil Party) he did not receive the united support of his party, and was defeated by the Whig candidate, Zachary Taylor.