Yungas sentence example
- The permanent residents are generally limited to the major-domo and his family; and in the dry season labourers are hired, of any colour that can be obtained - some from the low country, others from the highlands - for three, four, or five months, who gather in and grind the cane, and plant for the harvest of the following year; but the staff of resident Indian labourers, such as exists in the farms of the sierra, cannot be kept up in the Yungas, as these half-warm valleys are called.
- The natives designate the Bolivian climatic zones as yungas, valle or medio yungas, cabezera de valle, puna and puna brava.
- The yungas comprises all the lowlands and the mountain valleys up to an elevation of 5000 ft.
- In the tropical yungas the ground is covered with decaying vegetation, and malaria and fevers are common.
- brasiliensis), growing along the river courses in the yungas regions of the north, though manicoba rubber is also obtained from Manihot Glaziovii on the drier uplands.Advertisement
- Tobacco of a fair quality is produced in the warm regions of the east, including the yungas valleys of La Paz and Cochabamba; cacao of a superior grade is grown in the department of Beni, where large orchards were planted at the missions, and also in the warm Andean valleys of La Paz and Cochabamba; and coffee of the best flavour is grown in some of the warmer districts of the eastern Andes.
- It is extensively cultivated in the departments of Cochabamba and La Paz, especially in the province of Yungas.
- During this time and in the six succeeding years a guerrilla warfare was maintained by the patriots of Upper Peru, who had taken refuge in the mountains, chiefly of the province of Yungas, and who frequently harassed the royalist troops.
- Our next destination was the Cachi Road, a superb area of Yungas and Andean altiplano.