Yehl sentence example
- A cycle of tales is devoted to a strange humorous being called Yehl or Yelch, i.e.
- Passing down the American continent from the north-west, we find Yehl the chief hero-god and mythical personage among the Tlingits.
- Like many other heroes or gods, Yehl had a miraculous birth.
- The birth of Yehl was the result.
- His great opponent (for the eternal dualism comes in) is Khanukh, who is a wolf, and the ancestor or totem of the wolf-race of men as Yehl is of the raven.Advertisement
- Yehl is the Prometheus Purphoros of the Tlingits, but myths of the fire-stealer would form matter for a separate section.
- Yehl also stole water, in his bird-shape, exactly as Odin stole " Suttung's mead " when in the shape of an eagle.'
- Yehl's powers of metamorphosis and of flying into the air are the common accomplishments of sorcerers, and he is a rather crude form of first father, " culture-hero " and creator.2 Among the Karok Indians we find the great hero and divine benefactor in the shape of, not a raven, nor an eagle-hawk, nor a mantis insect, nor a spider, but a coyote.
- His sacrament, when paste idols of him were eaten by the communicants, was at the winter solstice, whence it may, perhaps, be inferred that Huitzilopochtli was not only a war-god but a nature-god - in both respects anthropomorphic, and in both bearing traces of the time when he was but a humming-bird, as Yehl was a raven (Muller, op. cit.
- Yehl, the Tlingit god-hero, was a raven or a crane when he stole the water (Bancroft iii.Advertisement
- Among the Thlinkeets, Yehl, the raven god, was the fire-stealer.