Xoyos sentence example
- E7rurT1] µoi, knowledge, and Xoyos, theory, account; Germ.
- 8), after recognizing the necessity of external goods to happiness, it denies that fortune is due to divine grace, and simply defines it as irrational nature (&Xoyos 060-Ls).
- €rxaTos, last, and Xoyos, science; the "doctrine of last things"), a theological term derived from the New Testament phrases "the last day" Tj7 EU xaTV ijµEpcc, John vi.
- Sensation, it says, is unreasoning (&Xoyos); it must be accepted, and not criticized.
- Thus did he become the founder of the logical but linguistic analysis of reasoning as discourse (o w into propositions and terms. Nevertheless, the deeper question remained, what is the logical but mental analysis of reasoning itself (6 g o-co Xoyos) into its mental premises and conclusion?Advertisement
- And a compound can have a Xoyos or account given of it by the (literally) adequate enumeration of the names of its simple elements or 7rp&ra.'
- This analytical, Xoyos he offers as his substitute for knowledge.
- It is a speech-andthought-form (Xoyos) in which certain matters being posited something other than the matters posited necessarily results because of them, and, though it still needs to receive a deeper meaning when presumed truth gives way to necessary truth of premises, the notion of the class to that of the class-concept, collective fact to universal law, its formal claim is manifest.
- euaE,3Eta, 71 - c5T6S 6 Xoyos, &c.; and the very greeting is un-Pauline (I Tim.
- We hear, too, of corporeal days and years, corporeal virtues, and actions (like walking) which are bodies ((Teo yam) Obviously, again, the Stoic quality corresponds to Aristotle's essential form; in both systems the active principle, " the cause of all that matter becomes," is that which accounts for the existence of a given concrete thing (Xoyos Ti s ov61as).Advertisement
- 14; and 6 Xoyos TijS savcXElas (" the word of the kingdom") xiii.
- This distinction between Logos as ratio and Logos as oratio, so much used subsequently by Philo and the Christian fathers, had been so far anticipated by Aristotle's distinction between the g w Xo'yos and the Xoyos iv rff Ox?j.
- He affirmed also the action of the Xoyos r,repµaruK s, (Apol.
- 10, 24) taught that the Logos was in eternity with God as the MIT ' s EvSc6Beros, the counsellor of God, and that when the world was to be created God sent forth this counsellor (vi,µ(ovXos) from Himself as the Xoyos 7'p041opu06s, yet so that the begotten Logos did not cease to be a part of Himself.
- 2.7rEpL `Epp7 7 vELas: De interpretatione: On language as expression of mind, and especially on the enunciation or assertion (Liirocbavacs h7roc/avTucos Xoyos) [rejected by Andronicus according to Alexander; but probably an early work of Aristotle, based on Plato's analysis of the sentence into noun and verb].Advertisement
- Xo-yo®ETris, from Xoyos, word, account, calculation, and TiOEvac, to set, i.e.