Xiphilinus sentence example
- He studied at Athens and Constantinople, where he became intimate with John Xiphilinus.
- Following the example of his friend Xiphilinus he entered the monastery of Olympus (near Prusa in Bithynia), where he assumed the name of Michael.
- We may mention: Chronographia (from 976-1077), which in spite of its bias in favour of the Ducases is a valuable history of his time, chiefly on domestic affairs; three Epitaphioi or funeral orations over the patriarchs Cerularius, Lichudes and Xiphilinus.
- The chief ancient authorities for the reign of Hadrian are: the life by Aelius Spartianus in the Scriptores historiae Augustae (see AUGUSTAN HISTORY and bibliography); the epitome of Dio Cassius (lxix.) by Xiphilinus; Aurelius Victor, Epit.
- We also have part of 35 and 36-80 in the epitome of John Xiphilinus, an i ith-century Byzantine monk.Advertisement