Xhim sentence example
- The more common of the two, known as X-linked hyper-IgM syndrome (XHIM), is caused by an abnormal gene on the X chromosome and affects only boys.
- Children with XHIM are more likely to develop enlarged lymph nodes than children with other primary immunodeficiency disorders.
- The most common opportunistic infection in children with XHIM is a lung disease known as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP).
- Children with either XHIM or ARHIM who are not diagnosed early may show delays in growth and normal weight gain.
- About 70 percent of patients with XHIM develop liver disease by age 30, usually as a result of recurrent Cryptosporidium infections.Advertisement
- One group of researchers at Johns Hopkins University estimates the incidence of XHIM in the general North American population as one in 1,030,000 males.
- The incidence of ARHIM has not been established as of 2004, but it is known to be much less common than XHIM.
- The registry that was established in the United States in 1997 contains the records of 79 patients from 60 unrelated families, while the European database contains the records of XHIM patients from 130 unrelated families.
- As a result, boys with XHIM have abnormally low levels of IgG and IgA in their blood, with normal or higher than normal levels of IgM.
- About 70 percent of patients diagnosed with XHIM have inherited the disorder through their mother; about 30 percent of cases, however, are caused by new mutations.Advertisement
- In the case of children with XHIM, IVIG is given to replace the missing IgG antibodies and to reduce or normalize the IgM level.
- A subsequent treatment for XHIM is bone marrow transplantation (BMT), which is also referred to as hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT).
- Several advances since the late 1990s, however, have made this form of treatment more feasible for boys with XHIM.
- As of 2004, however, doctors recommended that boys with XHIM be given BMT before significant infections or organ damage occur.
- Cord blood from healthy siblings can be used for transplantation to treat XHIM patients.Advertisement
- Nutritional concerns for children with XHIM are related to infections of the digestive tract resulting in chronic diarrhea.
- The prognosis for children diagnosed with XHIM is poor as of the early 2000s; morbidity and mortality for this disorder are significantly higher than for other primary immunodeficiency disorders.