X-ald sentence example
- X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy (X-ALD), a sex-linked disorder characterized by progressive symptoms that begin as behavioral changes, muscle weakness, and speech difficulties.
- As a sex-linked genetic disorder, the daughters of males affected with X-ALD become carriers and the sons are not affected.
- X-ALD is the most common of the peroxisomal disorders, affecting about one in 20,000 males.
- In X-ALD there is a deficiency in the enzyme that breaks down VLCFAs, which then accumulate in myelin and the adrenal glands.
- In addition to physical abnormalities seen in other types of peroxisomal disorders, common symptoms of X-ALD also include behavioral changes such as abnormal withdrawal or aggression, poor memory, dementia, and poor academic performance.Advertisement
- There are also milder forms of X-ALD, an adult onset ALD that typically begins between the ages of 21 and 35, and a form that is occasionally seen in women who are carriers of the disorder.
- In addition to X-ALD, there are at least ten other single-enzyme peroxisomal disorders, each with its own specific abnormalities.
- For example, for X-ALD, diagnosis can be made from cultured skin fibroblasts or amniotic fluid cells.
- Bone marrow transplants may be effective for children with X-ALD if administered early in the course of the childhood form of the disease.