Wych sentence example
- The name of the town appears variously as Wych Manbank, Wie Malban, Nantwich, Lache Mauban, Wysmanban, Wiens Malbanus, Namptewiche.
- For many centuries this district between London and Westminster was a kind of " no man's land " having certain archaic customs. Gomme in his Governance of London (1907) gives an account of the connexion of this with the old village of Aldwich, a name that survived in Wych Street, and has been revived by the London County Council in Aldwych, the crescent which leads to Kingsway.
- Of the elm (Ulmus) there are five common varieties, the two most cultivated being the rough-leaved elm (Ulmus campestris), which is grown in large quantities in England and North America, and the smooth-leaved wych elm (Ulmus glabra).
- Much of the wych elm has been affected by Dutch Elm Disease and other trees include birch, sycamore and oak.
- However, a shortage of yew trees meant that ash, elm or wych elm were also used.Advertisement
- Wych Elm produces a mass of viable seed with relatively young trees reach fruiting maturity.