Western ghats sentence example
- The heaviest falls of rain occur along lines of mountain of some extent directly facing the vapour-bearing winds, as on the Western Ghats of India and the west coast of the Malay peninsula.
- The range of the Western Ghats enabled the Mahrattas to rise against their Mahommedan conquerors, to reassert their Hindu nationality against the whole power of the Mogul Empire, and to establish in its place an empire of their own.
- The other two sides of the elevated southern triangle are known as the Eastern and Western Ghats.
- The Western Ghats form the great sea-wall of the Bombay presidency, with only a narrow strip between them and the shore.
- The Western Ghats ascend more abruptly from the sea to an average height of about 3000 ft.Advertisement
- The drainage has therefore to make its way across India to the eastwards, now turning sharply round projecting ranges, now tumbling down ravines, or rushing along the valleys, until the rain which the Bombay sea-breeze has dropped upon the Western Ghats finally falls into the Bay of Bengal.
- At the junction of the Eastern and Western Ghats rises the bold triangular plateau of the Nilgiris, and to the south of them come the Anamalais, the Palnis, and the hills of Travancore.
- In Lower Burma the western face of the Arakan Yoma hills, like that of the Western Ghats in India, is exposed to the full force of the south-western monsoon, and receives a very heavy rainfall.
- The rugged and mountainous country south of the Tapti forms the northern extremity of the Sahyadri or Western Ghats.
- The Konkan lies between the Western Ghats and the sea.Advertisement
- Most of them lie among the Sahyadri hills or Western Ghats.
- On the death of Asoka in 231 B.C. the empire of the Mauryas broke up, and their heritage in the west fell to the Andhra dynasty of the Satavahanas of Paithan on the Godavari, a Dravidian family whose dominion by 200 B.C. stretched across the peninsula from the deltas of the Godavari and Kistna to Nasik and the Western Ghats.
- These endemics concerns sometimes birds restricted to the Western Ghats or Southern India, but also more widespread Indian endemics are encountered.
- Behind its lush coastline rise the thickly forested western ghats which level off on to the Deccan Plateau, south India's vast heartland.
- In the great tract of forest between the Ganges and Kistna rivers they occur locally as far west as Bilaspur and Mandla; they are met with in the Western Ghats as far north as between latitude 17 0 and 18Ã‚°, and are likewise found in the hill FIG.Advertisement
- It is situated in 8Ã‚° 4' 20" N., 77Ã‚° 35' 35" E., and is the terminating point of the western Ghats.
- Damaji Gaekwar descended from the Western Ghats upon the alluvial plains of Gujarat around Baroda; Tukoji Holkar subdued the uplands of Malwa beyond the Vindhya range on the north bank of the Nerbudda; and Mahadji Sindhia obtained possession of large tracts immediately south of Agra and Delhi, marched into Hindustan and became virtually the master of the Mogul emperor himself (see GwAL10R).
- It is situated in 8° 4' 20" N., 77° 35' 35" E., and is the terminating point of the western Ghats.