Wendover sentence example
- Wendover is a quiet town of no great activity.
- Wendover (Wendovre, Wandovre, Wendoura) is on the Upper Icknield Way, which was probably an ancient British road, and various traces of a British settlement have been found in the town and neighbourhood.
- In 1087 the king held the manor of Wendover, and therefore it belonged to the ancient demesne of the crown.
- In 1832 Wendover lost its right of separate representation.
- Hugh de Gurnay held a fair in Wendover on the eve, feast and morrow of St John the Baptist, granted him in 1 214.Advertisement
- Roger of Wendover asserts that John issued a separate charter of this kind when Magna Carta appeared.
- Matthew edited anew the works of Abbot John de Cella and Roger of Wendover, which in their altered form constitute the first part of his most important work, the Chronica majora.
- From 1235, the point at which Wendover dropped his pen, Matthew continued the history on the plan which his predecessors had followed.
- The chief chronicles for the reign are Gervase of Canterbury's Gesta regum, Ralf of Coggeshall's Chronicon, Walter of Coventry's Memoriale, Roger of Wendover's Flores historiarum, the Annals of Burton, Dunstaple and Margan - all these in the Rolls Series.
- According to Roger of Wendover in his Flores historiarum under the year 1228, an Armenian archbishop, then visiting England, was asked by the monks of St Albans about the well-known Joseph of Arimathaea, who had spoken to Jesus and was said to be still alive.Advertisement
- Matthew Paris, in repeating the passage from Roger of Wendover, reported that other Armenians had confirmed the story on visiting St Albans in 1252, and regarded it as a great proof of the Christian religion.
- 28 became "contaminated " by the legend of St Joseph of Arimathaea and the Holy Grail, and took the form given in Roger of Wendover and Matthew Paris.
- This version is given in Flores historiarum by Roger of Wendover, who quoted from an earlier writer.
- In the spring of 1796 he was appointed under-secretary for the foreign office, and in the election of that year he was returned for Wendover.
- With the accession of Henry IlL, Roger of Wendover, the first of the St Albans school whose writings are extant, becomes our chief authority.Advertisement
- He had been returned to the House of Commons for the pocket borough of Wendover, and his first speech (January 27, 1766) was felt to be the rising of a new light.
- Burke was a gambler, they hint, in Indian stock, like his kinsmen Richard and William, and like Lord Verney, his political patron at Wendover.
- John, Fanny & Martha were all christened in Wendover on 3 January 1858.