Weissenfels sentence example
- WEISSENFELS, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Saxony, situated on the Saale 20 m.
- Weissenfels manufactures machinery, ironware, paper and other goods, and has an electrical power-house.
- Weissenfels is a place of considerable antiquity, and from 1656 till 1746 it was the capital of the small duchy of Saxe-Weissenfels, a branch of the electoral house of Saxony, founded by Augustus, second son of the elector John George I.
- The body of Gustavus Adolphus was embalmed at Weissenfels after the battle of Lutzen.
- LANDSBERG BEI HALLE, a town in Prussia on the Strengbach, on the railway from Berlin to Weissenfels.Advertisement
- Amongst the principal lakes are the Wochein, the Weissenfels, the Veldes, and the seven small lakes of the Triglav; while in the Karst region lies the famous periodical lake of Zirknitz, known to the Romans as Lacus Lugens or Lugea Palus.
- The son was first placed as page with the dowager duchess of Weissenfels, and was then received at her recommendation into the court of the elector of Saxony as Silberpage on the 16th of April 1719.
- of Leipzig on the line to Gera, and with branches to Altenburg and Weissenfels.
- Wallenstein's posts at Weissenfels and Rippach prevented him from fighting his main battle the same evening, and the Swedes went into camp near Rippach, a little more than an hour's march from Liitzen.
- From Saalberg the Saale enters the dreary limestone formation of Thuringia, sweeps beneath the barren, conical hills lying opposite to the university town of Jena, passes the pleasant watering-place of Kosen, washes numerous vine-clad hills and, after receiving at Naumburg the deep and navigable Unstrut, flows past Weissenfels, Merseburg, Halle, Bernburg and Kalbe, and joins the Elbe just above Barby, after traversing a distance of 226 m.Advertisement
- In Weissenfels, near Leipzig, the dressing of Russian grey squirrel and the making it into linings is a gigantic industry, and is the principal support of the place.
- Weissenfels, Goethe in Sturm and Drang, vol.
- On the 7th of October 1548 Augustus was married at Torgau to Anna, daughter of Christian III., king of Denmark, and took up his residence at Weissenfels.
- The brown coal region extends from Oschersleben by Kalbe to Weissenfels; it is also found in the neighbourhood of Aschersleben, Bitterfeld and Wittenberg.
- The principal towns are Magdeburg, Halle, Erfurt, Halberstadt, Nordhausen, Miihlhausen, Aschersleben, Weissenfels and Zeitz.Advertisement
- See Sturm, Chronik der Stadt Weissenfels (Weissenfels, 1846); and Gerhardt, Geschichte der Stadt Weissenfels (Weissenfels, 1907).