Weddell sentence example
- Bruce for crossing the Antarctic continent in 1911-2, from Coats Land on the Weddell Sea to McMurdo Sound in the Ross Sea, was not proceeded with, and two American expeditions which were contemplated at the same time did not advance beyond the stage of projects.
- Sir Ernest Shackleton had completed his preparations for an attempt to cross the Antarctic regions from Weddell Sea to Ross Sea before the outbreak of the World War, and carried out his expedition at the direct order of the Admiralty, which declined his offer of the ships and men for war service.
- Aeneas Mackintosh, brought an auxiliary expedition to lay out depots on the Barrier to facilitate the latter part of Shackleton's march from the Weddell Sea via the South Pole.
- On May 6 1915 the " Aurora," which had been frozen in and made fast by many cables to the shore at Cape Evans, was blown out to sea with all the ice and was held fast for 315 days, during which time she drifted northward through Ross Sea nearly in the same direction and at nearly the same rate as the " Endurance " was drifting at the same time in the Weddell Sea.
- Today you may spot the first tabular iceberg, which would have broken off the Larsen Ice Shelf in the Weddell Sea.Advertisement
- Weddell seals are seen quite frequently enjoying a snooze on the shores or on ice floes.
- 31Ã‚° W., and remained fast, drifting with the winds and currents of the Weddell Sea all winter, on the whole westward and northward until the middle of August, when she was in lat.
- Here there are Weddell and elephant seals, skuas, giant petrels, Antarctic terns and rookeries of chinstrap, gentoo and macaroni penguins.
- Proposed sledge journey from the Atlantic to the Pacific - from the Weddell Sea to the Ross Sea.