Waterparting sentence example
- Shelving gradually upward from the low flats of Siberia the general continental level rises to a great central waterparting, or divide, which stretches from the Black Sea through the Elburz and the Hindu Kush to the Tian-shan mountains in the Pamir region, and hence to Bering Strait on the extreme north-east.
- Mount Hamilton, which lies north of the waterparting, is over 9000 ft.
- From that point the boundary coincides with the main waterparting of the Altai Mountains till it reaches Mount Kalas.
- West of the James River Valley lies an elevated table-land, known as the Coteau du Missouri, which marks the waterparting between the James and the Missouri rivers, and has a general elevation of about 1800 ft.
- There is but one insignificant waterparting - or kotal - a little to the north of Ghazni; and the road, although unmade, may be considered equal to any road of its length in Europe for military purposes.Advertisement
- At the head of Lynn Canal, the only place on the whole extent of the south-eastern Alaskan coast where a clear-cut waterparting is exhibited between the sea-board and interior drainage, the summits of the highest peaks in the Coast Range are 8000 to 9000 ft.
- But in smaller areas, which on the average are necessarily nearer to the waterparting, the limits are much wider.
- It is now applied in a restricted sense to the waterparting between Herat and the Russian frontier on the Kushk river, which possesses no local name of its own.