Wanstead sentence example
- The parish stretches north and south from Wanstead and Leyton to the Thames, and east and west from East Ham to the river Lea.
- SIR CHARLES TILSTON BRIGHT (1832-1888), English telegraph engineer, who came of an old Yorkshire family, was born on the 8th of June 1832, at Wanstead, Essex.
- Wanstead >>
- For this purpose he repaired to the Rectory, Wanstead, then the residence of Mrs Pound, the widow of his uncle James Pound, with whom he had made many observations of the heavenly bodies.
- WANSTEAD, an urban district in the Romford parliamentary division of Essex, England, forming a residential suburb of London, on a branch of the Great Eastern railway, 8 m.Advertisement
- Wanstead Park, 184 acres in extent, was opened in 1882.
- Wanstead Flats, adjoining the Park, form another open ground.
- At Snaresbrook in the parish of Wanstead are the Infant Orphan Asylum, founded in 1827, and the Royal Merchant Seamen's Orphan Asylum, established in London in 1817 and refounded here in 1861.
- Wanstead is mentioned in Domesday, and the name is considered by some to be derived from Woden's stead or place, indicating a spot dedicated to the worship of Woden.
- The original manor house was rebuilt by Lord Chancellor Rich, who was here visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1561, and for her entertainment Sir Philip Sidney wrote a dramatic interlude which was played before the queen at Wanstead garden, and is printed at the end of the Arcadia.Advertisement
- Sir Richard Child, afterwards earl of Tylney, built the splendid mansion of Wanstead House in 1715 (demolished in 1822), in which the prince of Conde and others of the Bourbon family resided during the reign of the first Napoleon.
- Stansted, Wanstead; -stone, -ston, e.g.
- His early observations were made at the rectory of Wanstead in Essex, under the tutelage of his uncle, the Rev. James Pound (1669-1724), himself a skilled astronomer, and he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society on the 6th of November 1718.
- William Penn attended school at Chigwell from his home at Wanstead.