Wandiwash sentence example
- Warren Hastings sent from Bengal Sir Eyre Coote, who, though repulsed at Chidambaram, defeated Hyder thrice successively in the battles of Porto Novo, Pollilur and Sholingarh, while Tippoo was forced to raise the siege of Wandiwash, ana Vellore was provisioned.
- Arcot was afterwards captured by the French; but in 1760 was retaken by Colonel Coote after the battle of Wandiwash.
- The final struggle was postponed until 1760, when Colonel (afterwards Sir Eyre) Coote won the decisive victory of Wandiwash over the French general Lally, and proceeded to invest Pondicherry, which was starved into capitulation in January 1761.
- Sir Eyre Coote, the victor of Wandiwash, was sent by sea to relieve Madras with all the men and money available, while Colonel Pearse marched south overland to overawe the raja of Berar and the nizam.
- The battle of Plassey (1757) had laid Bengal at the feet of Clive; and Cootes victory at Wandiwash (1760) led to the final ruin of the relics of French authority in southern India.Advertisement