Wallasey sentence example
- WALLASEY, an urban district in the Wirral parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 2 m.
- Under Wallasey Pool are remains of a submerged forest, in which various animal skeletons have been found.
- Situated on the coast Wallasey offers a lovely beach and promenade leading to New Brighton's famous waterfront.
- The rise of Birkenhead, from a hamlet of some 50 inhabitants in 1818 to its present importance, was due in the first place to the foresight and enterprise of William Laird, who purchased in 1824 a few acres of land on the banks of a marshy stream, known as Wallasey Pool, which flowed into the Mersey about 2 m.
- Among other engineers, Telford and Stephenson favoured the project of converting Wallasey Pool into a great basin for shipping; but, largely owing to the fears of Liverpool lest a formidable rival should thus be created, it was not until 1843 that parliamentary powers were obtained, and the work entrusted to James Rendel, who finished it in less than five years.Advertisement
- On the north and north-east, and partly on the east, Birkenhead is bounded by its docks, which extend, for a distance exceeding 2 m., from the landing-stage at Woodside Ferry to the Wallasey Bridge.
- Of these the principal are the Egerton, Morpeth, Morpeth Branch and Wallasey Docks; while the Alfred Dock, with its three entrances, nineteen pairs of lock-gates, 8 acres.
- The former marshy estuary called Wallasey Pool is occupied by the Great Float, forming an immense dock (see Birkenhead).
- At the Conquest Wallasey formed part of the possessions of Robert de Rhuddlan, and on his decease became part of the fee of Halton.
- The new Bishops will receive Episcopal consecration at a service in Christ Church, Wallasey later this year.Advertisement
- fire crews from Wallasey fire station, Wirral were alerted to the fire at around 4am last night.
- We believe this scheme will improve the overall well-being of nursing home residents in Wallasey.
- Situated on the coast Wallasey offers a lovely beach and promenade leading to New Brighton 's famous waterfront.