Walfish sentence example
- WALFISH BAY, a harbour of South-West Africa with a coast-line of 20 m.
- Except seaward Walfish Bay is surrounded by German South-West Africa.
- Walfish Bay forms a detached portion of the Cape province of the Union of South Africa.
- She did not, and in the summer of 1884 Bismarck decided no longer to await her pleasure, and the south-west coast of Africa from the frontier of the Portuguese possessions to the Orange river, with the exception of Walfish Bay, was taken under German protection.
- Ngami region; (3) the Ova-Herero and Ova-Mpo, confined to German South-West Africa between Walfish Bay and the Kunene River.Advertisement
- Eventually (1878) only Walfish Bay Germany and a small strip of adjacent territory were annexed.
- Walfish Bay on the west coast north of the Orange river is a detached part of Cape Colony.
- A line drawn from Port Elizabeth north-west across the Karroo in the direction of Walfish Bay roughly divides the regions of the winter and summer rains.
- In 1875 Basutoland formed part of the colony; in 1891 Transkei, Tembuland, Griqualand East, Griqualand West and Walfish Bay had been incorporated, and Basutoland had been disannexed; and in 1904 Pondoland and British Bechuanaland had been added.
- The colony is officially divided into nine provinces, but is more conveniently treated as consisting of three regions, to which may be added the detached area of Walfish Bay and the islands along the coast of Namaqualand.Advertisement
- The collection of guano from the islands near Walfish Bay is under government control.
- Walfish Bay >>
- 1884-1885, owing to the procrastinating policy of the Cape and British governments, all the coast between the Orange and the Portuguese frontier, save Walfish Bay, was placed under German protection (see Africa, §5).