Walensee sentence example
- A little below the town of Glarus the river, keeping its northerly direction, runs through the alluvial plain which it has formed, towards the Walensee and the Lake of Zurich.
- But between the Lake of Zurich and the Walensee the huge desolate alluvial plain grew ever in size, while great damage was done by the river, which overflowed its bed and the dykes built to protect the region near it.
- The first portion of the undertaking was completed in 1811, and received the name of the "Escher canal," the river being thus diverted; into the Walensee.
- The second portion, known as the "Linth canal," regulated the course of the river between the Walensee and the Lake of Zurich and was completed in 1816.
- On issuing from the Lake of Zurich the Linth alters its name to that of "Limmat," it does not appear wherefore, and, keeping the north-westerly direction it had taken from the Walensee, joins the Aar a little way below Brugg, and just below the junction of the Reuss with the Aar.Advertisement