Wakarusa sentence example
- It was first known as Wakarusa, from the creek by which it lies.
- In December 1855 occurred the "Wakarusa war."
- During the (almost bloodless) " Wakarusa War " Lawrence was threatened by an armed force from Missouri, but was saved by the intervention of Governor Shannon.
- $e was the author of the Topeka government idea, or at least was its moving spirit, serving throughout as the " governor " under it; though averse to force, he would use it if necessary, and was first in command in the " Wakarusa War."
- Little organized effort was made in the South to settle the Territory; Lawrence (Wakarusa) and Topeka, free-state centres, and Leavenworth, Lecompton and Atchison, pro-slavery towns, were among those settled in 1854.Advertisement