Waddell sentence example
- The great river itself is known in Tibet by many names, being generally called the Nari Chu, Maghang Tsanpo or Yaro Tsanpo, above Lhasa; the word " tsanpo " (tsang-po) meaning (according to Waddell) the " pure one," and applying to all great rivers.
- Waddell has shown that, in some cases, it is convenient to erect simple independent spans, by building them out as cantilevers and converting them into independent - (5) The Poughkeepsie bridge over the Hudson, built 1886-1887.
- Waddell (De Pontibus, New York, 1898) proposes to arrange railways in seven classes, according to the live loads which may be expected from the character of their traffic, and to construct bridges in accordance with this classification.
- Waddell's tons are short tons of 2000 Ib.
- Waddell (De Pontibus) gives the following convenient empirical relations.Advertisement
- (See Waddell, De Pontibus, p. 7.) Now in applying Wohler's law, fmax.
- Waddell has calculated tables of such equivalent uniform loads.
- Waddell gives a list of 164 species of plants collected by him at Lhasa, several being new species.
- According to a summary furnished by Lieut.-Colonel Waddell (Lhasa and its Mysteries), the chief imports from China are silk, carpets, porcelain and tea-bricks.
- Through the exertions of Prinsep, Csoma de Koros, Emil Schlag intweit, Chandra Das, Rockhill, Huth, Waddell and others, we possess many copies of lists of kings, forming the dynasties of Tibet from the legendary beginnings between the 5th and 2nd century B.C. down to the end of the monarchy in 914.Advertisement
- In Mongolia and other parts of Central Asia tea is made into a kind of soup, somewhat on the lines of the following written regarding tea in Tibet by Colonel Waddell in his book Lhasa and its Mysteries.
- Fortunately, young Calhoun had the opportunity, although late, of studying under his brother-in-law, the Rev. Moses Waddell (1770-1840), a Presbyterian minister, who afterwards, from 1819 to 1829, was president of the University of Georgia.
- Waddell, however, was a very single-minded man who mixed a clear vision of what he wanted with the determination to achieve it.