Wadai sentence example
- The whole of the north of Africa from Egypt to Morocco has been mahommedanized, and Mahommedan influence is general and fairly strong from Timbuktu to Lake Chad and Wadai.
- The conquest of the central Sudan states by France - completed in 1910 by the subjugation of Wadai - has practically ended the caravan trade in slaves across the Sahara.
- The ivory and feather caravans from Wadai and Borku have latterly deserted it altogether.
- The principal Baggara tribes are the Hawazma, Meseria, Kenana, Habbania, and Homr. The Homr are said to have entered Kordofan from Wadai about the end of the 18th century and to have come from North Africa.
- After 1899 many more enlisted: the greater number were Shilluks and Dinkas coming from the country between Fashoda and the equatorial provinces, but a proportion came from the western borders of the Sudan, and some from Wadai and Bornu.Advertisement
- Fula are settled in Bornu, Bagirmi, Wadai and the upper Nile Valley,' but have no political power in those countries.
- Trade is chiefly with Yola, a town on the Benue in British Nigeria, and with Khartum via Wadai.
- The country in 1871 had been conquered by the sultan of Wadai, and about 1890 was over-run by Rabah Zobeir who subsequently removed farther west to Bornu.
- Kanem, a country north of Bagirmi and subject in turn to it and to Wadai, was at the same time brought under French control.
- The Sudan produce (ivory, ostrich feathers, &c.) formerly brought to Bengazi by caravan, has now been almost wholly diverted to Tripoli, the eastern tracks from Wadai and Borku by way of Kufra to Aujila having become so unsafe that their natural difficulties are no longer worth braving.Advertisement
- Such are the Mandingo, the Songhai, the Fula, Hausa, Kanuri, Bagirmi, Kanembu, and the peoples of Wadai and Darfur; the few aborigines who persist, on the southern fringe of the Chad basin, are imperfectly known.
- Boyd Alexander, in a subsequent expedition across Africa was murdered in Wadai on the 2nd of April 1910.
- The third or central group of Sudanese states is formed of the sultanates of Bagirmi with Kanem and Wadai.
- Wadai was the last state of the Sudan to come under European influence, its conquest being effected in 1909.
- There are few good harbours, Port 1 It was supposed to be indicated by the line which, according to the Turkish firman of 1841, describes a semicircle from the Siwa Oasis to Wadai, approaching the Nile between the Second and Third Cataracts.Advertisement
- (Some of them went to Darfur and Wadai, others made their way to the Red Sea.