Vysehrad sentence example
- The nobles, who though favourable to the Hussite cause yet supported the regent, promised to act as mediators with Sigismund; while the citizens of Prague consented to restore to the royal forces the castle of Vysehrad, which had fallen into their hands.
- Though Sigismund had retired from Prague, the castles of Vysehrad and Hradcany remained in possession of his troops.
- The citizens of Prague laid siege to the Vysehrad, and towards the end of October (1420) the garrison was on the point of capitulating through famine.
- An attempt of Sigismund to relieve the besieged garrison of the Vysehrad fortress on the outskirts of Prague also failed, as he was again entirely defeated at the battle of the Vysehrad (November I, 1420).
- His epic poem entitled Vysehrad, which celebrates the ancient glory of the acropolis of Prague, has great value, and of his many novels Jan Maria Plojhar has had the greatest success.Advertisement
- The earliest inhabited spot within the precincts of the present city was the hill named Vysehrad (higher castle, acropolis) on the right bank of the Vltava.
- It is probable that independently of the Hradcany and Vysehrad settlements a certain number of buildings existed as early as 993 on the site of the present Pofie Street (near the station of the state railway).
- This, which includes the greater part of the modern city, was surrounded by walls, which starting from the foot of the Vysehrad included the small already-existing settlement of Pofic and then adjoined the borders of the old town from the beginning of the present Pfikopy Street up to the river.
- Two of the greatest battles of the Hussite wars, that of the Zizkov and that of the Vysehrad (both 1420), were fought on the outskirts of Prague, and after the last-named battle the ancient Vysehrad castle was entirely destroyed.
- The communities of Vysehrad (1883), Holesovic-Bubna (1884) and Liben (1901) were consecutively included in the city.Advertisement
- The Vysehrad, now a part of Prague, adjoins the " new town."
- Sigismund attempted to relieve the fortress, but was decisively defeated by the Hussites on the ist of November near the village of Pankrac. The castles of Vysehrad and Hradcany now capitulated, and shortly afterwards almost all Bohemia fell into the hands of the Hussites.