Vyrnwy sentence example
- But the great reservoir known as Lake Vyrnwy, which supplies Liverpool with water, is equal in size to Bala; and the chain of four artificial lakes constructed by the Birmingham corporation in the valleys of the Elan and Claerwen covers a large area in west Radnorshire.
- The Vyrnwy is tributary to the Severn; but north of it the streams gather into the Dee, and flow eventually northward.
- In the construction of the Vyrnwy masonry dam Portland cement concrete was used in the joints.
- Silurian formation, used' in the case of the Vyrnwy dam, had an ultimate crushing strength of from 700 to 1000 tons per sq.
- Such stones may be of any size subject to each of them covering only a small proportion of the width of the structure (in the Vyrnwy dam they reached 8 or 10 tons each), and the spaces between them, where large enough, must be similarly built in with smaller, but always the largest possible, stones; spaces too small for this treatment must be filled and rammed with concrete.Advertisement
- The first masonry dam of importance constructed in Great Britain was that upon the river Vyrnwy, a tributary of the Severn, in connexion with the Liverpool water-supply (Plate I.).
- The Bear Valley dam, California, is the most THE Vyrnwy Valley, Montgomeryshire, June 1888.
- Lake Vyrnwy, completed in 1889, includes a reservoir which is still by far the largest in Europe.
- This reservoir is situated in a true Glacial lake-basin, and having therefore all the appearance of a natural lake, is commonly known as Lake Vyrnwy.