Voss sentence example
- After leaving Seattle, Kimmel and Voss made the move to Tampa, only to get fired again when that station too changed formats.
- Isaac Voss, in his work De Nili (1659), published a map of central Africa, in which he anticipated D'Anville by rejecting all the fanciful details which found a place upon Filippo Pigafetta's map of that continent.
- But he soon exhausted his resources, and, having nothing to live upon, was glad to hurry back to Norway, where he accepted the position of tutor in the house of a rural dean at Voss.
- Besides his relations with his maitresse en titre, the countess Lichtenau, the king - who was a frank polygamist - contracted two "marriages of the left hand" with Fraulein von Voss and the countess Ddnhoff.
- He founded or endowed various professorships, including those of Hebrew and Arabic, and the office of public orator, encouraged English and foreign scholars, such as Voss, Selden and Jeremy Taylor, founded the university printing press, procuring in 1633 the royal patent for Oxford, and obtained for the Bodleian library over 1300 MSS., adding a new wing to the building to contain his gifts.Advertisement
- In literature, its leading names were Winckelmann, Lessing and Voss, and Herder, Goethe and Schiller.
- "The Muses," he writes to Voss, "were now his consolation, and appeared more amiable than ever."
- In general design and construction, the manner of moving the rotating plate and in the use of the two Leyden jars in connexion with the discharge balls, Voss borrowed his ideas from Holtz.
- Bergen is the nearest port to the famous Hardanger Fjord, and is the starting-point of a remarkable railway which runs through many tunnels and fine scenery towards Vossevangen or Voss.
- In 1805, when several lecturers left in consequence of diminished classes, he had written to Johann Heinrich Voss, suggesting that his philosophy might find more congenial soil in Heidelberg; but the application bore no fruit.Advertisement
- His biting wit involved him in many controversies with well-known contemporaries, such as Lavater, whose science of physiognomy he ridiculed, and Voss, whose views on Greek pronunciation called forth a powerful satire, Ober die Pronunciation der Schopse des alten Griechenlandes (1782).
- Towards the end of the 18th century Eutin acquired some fame as the residence of a group of poets and writers, of whom the best-known were Johann Heinrich Voss, the brothers Stolberg, and Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi.
- The cathode terminal is connected to the negative pole of an electrostatic machine, such as a Wimshurst or Voss machine, giving a steady pressure.
- See Otto Voss, De Heraclidis Pontici vita et scriptis (1896).
- Robert Voss, a Berlin instrument maker, in 1880 devised a form of machine in which he claimed that the principles of Toepler and Holtz were combined.Advertisement
- During his stay in Arizona, Kimmel would call in to a popular afternoon radio show and soon found himself working alongside one of the hosts, Kent Voss.
- Voss Vision Clinic is located at 101 N Douglas Blvd Ste.
- In 1906, three men (Claus Johannes Voss, Alfred Nehemias, and August Eberstein) collaborated to form a fountain pen company.