Vitus bering sentence example
- The Cossack Simon Dezhneff is thought to have made a voyage, in the summer of 1648, from the river Kolyma, through Bering Strait (which was rediscovered by Vitus Bering in 1728) to Anadyr.
- In September 1740 Vitus Bering sailed from Okhotsk on a second Arctic voyage with George William Steller on board as naturalist.
- These take their name from the explorer Vitus Bering.
- The post of Anadyrsk was founded on the river Anadyr, and overland communications were gradually opened up. A Russian named Popov first learnt a rumour of the existence of islands east of Cape Dezhnev, and of the proximity of America, and presently there followed the explorations of Vitus Bering.
- Horsens is the birthplace of the navigator Vitus Bering or Behring (1680), the Arctic explorer.Advertisement
- The region now known as Alaska was first explored by the Russian officers Captain Vitus Bering and Chirikov in 1741.