Virginica sentence example
- The witch hazel is quite a distinct plant, Hamamelis virginica, of the natural order Hamamalideae, the astringent bark of which is used in medicine.
- Thus in fuchsia and Poinciana, it is red; in Adamia and Tradescantia virginica, blue; in Oenothera and Ranunculus acris, yellow.
- In spiderwort (Tradescantia virginica) the hairs are beautifully coloured, moniliform or necklace-like, and afford good objects for studying rotation of the protoplasm.
- Pollen-grains are also spherical; cylindrical and curved, as in Tradescantia virginica; C From Vines' Students' Text-Book of Botany, by permission of Swan Sonnenschein & Co.
- C. caroliniana is a spreading dwarf species bearing in spring loose racemes of pretty rose flowers, and C. virginica (Spring Beauty) is a slender erect plant, with pink blossoms.Advertisement
- I. virginica is moisture-loving, hardy, and deciduous.
- Meadow Beauty (Rhexia) - R. virginica is a beautiful dwarf bog plant with vivid, deep rosy flowers 6 or 8 inches high, in sandy swamps in New England and the Eastern States, and is found as far west as Illinois and Wisconsin.
- R. Mariana is even scarcer in this country than R. virginica, and less important, growing in drier places.
- Virginian Spiderwort (Tradescantia) - Perennials some of them quite hardy, of which T. virginica with its varieties is the best.