Villemain sentence example
- Villemain finds in it " peu de vues, nulle originalite surtout, mais une grande passion litteraire, l'amour des recherches savantes et du beau langage."
- He was a member of the chamber of peers under Louis Philippe, and opposed Villemain's plan for freedom of education.
- In 1827 he was prime mover in the protest made by the French Academy against the minister Peyronnet's law on the press, which led to the failure of that measure, but this step cost him, as it did Villemain, his post as censeur royal.
- At nineteen he entered the normal school, where he studied under Burnouf, Villemain, and Cousin.
- Villemain had the great advantage of coming just before the Romantic movement, of having a wide and catholic love of literature without being an extremist.Advertisement
- Villemain was appointed by the restoration government "chef de l'imprimerie et de la librairie," a post involving a kind of irregular censorship of the press, and afterwards to the office of master of requests.
- A decree of 1852 placed him along with Guizot and Villemain in the rank of honorary professors.
- The period of the restoration and the July monarchy was one of the most favourable to rising men of letters of a somewhat scholastic cast that has ever been known in France, and Michelet had powerful patrons in Villemain, Victor Cousin and others.