Villele sentence example
- The arrival of General Decaen, sent out by Bonaparte in 1802, restored security to the island, and five years later Villele, who had now realized a large fortune, returned to France.
- Villele, who before the promulgation of the charter had written some Observations sur le projet de constitution opposing it, as too democratic in character, naturally took his place on the extreme right with the ultra-royalists.
- In the new Chamber of 1816 Villele found his party in a minority, but his personal authority nevertheless increased.
- The duc de Richelieu was compelled to admit to the cabinet two of the chiefs of the Left, Villele and Corbiere.
- Villele resigned within a year, but on the fall of Richelieu at the end of 1821 he became the real chief of the new cabinet, in which he was minister of finance.Advertisement
- The new Chamber proved hostile to Villele, who resigned to make way for the short-lived moderate ministry of Martignac.
- The new ministry made Villele's removal to the upper house a condition of taking office, and he took no further part in public affairs.
- At the time of his death, on the 13th of March 1854, he had advanced as far as 1816 with his memoirs, which were completed from his correspondence by his family as Memoires et correspondance du comte de Villele (Paris, 5 vols., 1887-90).
- It was not till 1829, when the result of the elections had proved the futility of Villele's policy of repression, that Charles consented unwillingly to try a policy of compromise.
- Villele's successor was the vicomte de Martignac, who took Decazes for his model; and in the speech from the throne Charles declared that the happiness of France depended on "the sincere union of the royal authority with the liberties consecrated by the charter."Advertisement
- Towards the end of Villele's ministry, when there was a movement of public opinion in favour of extending municipal liberties, he undertook the defence of the threatened system of centralization, and composed, in answer to Raynouard, an Histoire critique du pouvoir municipal depuis l'origine de la monarchic jusqu'a nos jours (1828).