Villars sentence example
- He was informally exiled, and spent much time with Marshal Villars, again increasing his store of "reminiscences."
- He again spent much of his time with Villars, listening to the marshal's stories and making harmless love to the duchess.
- Minorca was reduced by Count Villars in 1707; but it was not till June 1715 that Majorca was subjugated, and meanwhile Port Mahon was captured by the English under General Stanhope in 1708.
- In this celebrated campaign the American generals rivalled if they did not excel the exploits of Marlborough, Eugene and Villars, under allied conditions.
- On the death of Henri de Villars, archbishop of Vienne, in 1693, he was commissioned to deliver a funeral oration, and this was the beginning of his fame.Advertisement
- He served under Marshal Villars in the War of the Spanish Succession, but he lacked the soldierly qualities of his father.
- The southern portion was held in succession by the lords of Villars and of Thoire.
- In 1709 France put forth a supreme effort, and placed Marshal Villars, her best living general, in command.
- Accordingly, his representative, Prince Eugene, met the French marshal Villars at Rastatt in November 1713, and here, after negotiations had been broken off and again resumed, peace was made on the 7th of March 1714, Charles VI.
- The famous "Weissenburg lines," consisting of entrenched works erected by Villars in 1706 along the Lauter, and having a length of 12 m., were stormed in October 1793 by the Prussians and Saxons under the Austrian general Wurmser.Advertisement