Viceadmiral sentence example
- In 1874, while captain of the "Audacious," he served for three years as flag-captain to viceadmiral Ryder in China; and finally he was appointed, in 1880, to command the "Thunderer" in the Mediterranean.
- He was one of the deputation sent to invite King Otho to accept the crown of Greece, and was made rear-admiral and then viceadmiral by him.
- On the 9th of December he had been made viceadmiral, and in 1871 he commanded the fleet at Toulon; in 1875 he was a member of the council of admiralty; and in October 1876 he was appointed to command the evolutionary squadron in the Mediterranean.
- In 1763 he was named lieutenant-general in the navy, and in 1777 viceadmiral; and in 1778 he obtained the command of a fleet intended to assist the United States against Great Britain.
- Promoted to be viceadmiral of the blue, he was appointed in 1804 to the Jamaica station.Advertisement
- It was then that the Government instituted the rank of viceadmiral, previously unknown in the American service.