Vettori sentence example
- More than once, in letters to his friend Vettori, no less than in the pages of the Principe, Machiavelli afterwards expressed his belief that Cesare Borgia's behaviour in the conquest of provinces, the cementing of a new state out of scattered elements, and the dealing with false friends or doubtful allies, was worthy of all commendation and of scrupulous imitation.
- Though they already had Francesco Vettori at his court, Soderini judged it advisable to send Machiavelli thither in December.
- The letters to Vettori paint a man of vigorous intellect and feverish activity, dividing his time between studies and vulgar dissipations, seeking at one time distraction in low intrigues and wanton company, at another turning to the great minds of antiquity for solace.
- He wrote to Vettori on the subject, and Giuliano de' Medici, duke of Nemours, seemed to him the proper person.
- Writing to Vettori in 1513, he had expressed his eager wish to "roll stones" in their service; and this desire was now gratified.Advertisement
- Those who care to understand the contradictions of which such a character was capable should study his correspondence with Vettori.
- It remains the most solid monument of the Italian reason in the 16th century, the final triumph of that Florentine school of philosophical historians which included Machiavelli, Segni, Pitti, Nardi, Varchi, Francesco Vettori and Donato Giannotti.
- A striking 3-year-old chestnut colt by the French Guineas winner Vettori; proven after winning 5f maiden at Bath in October 2004.
- His letters on public affairs in Italy and Europe, especially those which he meant Vettori to communicate to the Medici at Rome, are marked by extraordinary fineness of perception, combined, as usual in his case, with philosophical breadth.