Vetera sentence example
- Even the great fortress of Castra Vetera (Xanten) was starved.
- The northern one was the valley of the Meuse and that of the Rhine to a point just south of Bonn: the southern was the rest of the Rhine valley to Switzerland_ Each district was garrisoned at first by four, later by fewer legions, which were disposed at various times in some of the following fortresses: Vetera (Xanten), Novaesium (Neuss), Bonne (Bonn), Moguntiacum (Mainz), Argentorate (Strassburg) and Vindonissa (Windisch in Switzerland).
- In Ciampinus, Vetera Monumenta (Rome, 1747), plates xii., xiii., are several illustrations of actual examples.
- The disaster 1 Given by Theiner, Vetera monumenta Hungariam ...
- See also Ciampinus, Vetera Monumenta (Rome, 1747), where numerous illustrations of altars are to be found; Martene, De antiquis Ecclesiae ritibus, iii, vi.Advertisement
- A standing army was kept up on the Rhine, divided into two commands, upper and lower Germany, the headquarters of the former being at Mainz, those of the latter at Vetera, near Xanten.
- Here he produced (1766-1768) Vetera humiliatorum monunienta (3 vols.), a history of the extinct order of the Humiliati, which made his literary reputation.
- He had a keen sympathy with the difficulties experienced by the ordinary lay mind in trying to reconcile the conservative element in Catholicism with the principle of development and growth, and in The Faith of Millions, Hard Sayings and Nova et vetera he attempted to clear them away.
- Theiner's Vetera Monumenta (Rome, 1864) contains documents concerning the medieval church, and there are many others in Ussher's Works, and for a later period in Cardinal Moran's Spicilegium Ossoriense (1874-1884).
- He was joined by the Bructeri and other neighboring tribes, but being defeated by Petilius Cerealis (afterwards consular legate in Britain) at Vetera and in other engagements gave up the struggle and arranged a capitulation in AD.Advertisement
- See Vincent'Laureo, 1574-78, et ses depeches inedites (Ital.) (Warsaw, 1877); Augu s tin Theiner, Vetera monuments Poloniae et Lituaniae vol.