Vestergotland sentence example
- Gotaland consisted of the provinces of Vestergotland and Ostergotland divided from one another by Lake Vetter, together with Srrialand.
- In early times Vestergotland seems to have been by far the most important.
- Trifling border-quarrels followed, but in 1017 a truce was arranged between Norway and Vestergotland, where Earl Ragnvald was still in power.
- His grave is still shown at Husaby in Vestergotland.
- He was the son of a certain Ragnvald, perhaps connected with the Vestergotland Ragnvald, of the reign of Olaf Skottkonung.Advertisement
- Steinkel was born in Vestergotland and was warmly attached to the Christian religion.
- Christianity was by this time firmly established throughout most of Sweden, its chief strength being in Vestergotland.
- The Uplanders, however, still held out against it, and Adalhard, though he succeeded in destroying the idols in his own district Vestergotland, was unable to persuade Steinkel to destroy the old sanctuary at Upsala.
- On his death in 1066 a civil war broke out in which the leaders were two obscure princes named Eric. Probably the division of feeling between Vestergotland and Upland in the matter of religion was the real cause of this war, but nothing is known of the details, though we hear that both kings as well as the chief men of the land fell in it.
- In the Vestergotland regnal lists he appears Haakon the before Steinkel and it is possible that the authority Red, 1066- of that king was not regularly acknowledged in 10:9 ?Advertisement