Verulam sentence example
- His criticism of Bacon, Ober Francis von Verulam, was first published in 1863 in the Augsburger allgemeine Zeitung, where also most of his letters on chemistry made their first appearance.
- London first, and then Verulam, were abandoned to the Britons.
- On the 4th of January i 6 i 7/8 he received the higher title of lord chancellor; in July of the same year he was made Baron Verulam and in January 1620/I he was created Viscount St Albans.
- To this the true answer seems to be that Bacon owes his position not only to the general spirit of his philosophy, but to the manner in which he worked into a con- (1860); Liebig, Ober Francis Bacon von Verulam, &c. (1863).
- Joseph Glanvill, in his Scepsis Scientifica (dedication) says, " Solomon's house in the New Atlantis was a prophetic scheme of the Royal Society "; and Henry Oldenburg (c. 1615-1677), one of the first secretaries of the society, speaks of the new eagerness to obtain scientific data as " a work begun by the single care and conduct of the excellent Lord Verulam."Advertisement
- The Britons burnt the Roman municipalities of Verulam and Colchester, the mart of London, and several military posts, massacred "over 70,000" Romans and Britons friendly to Rome, and almost annihilated the Ninth Legion marching from Lincoln to the rescue.
- Lord (High) Chancellor a privy councilor, and in 1618 he was appointed lord chancellor and raised to the peerage as Baron Verulam.
- At Verulam School, the growing divide between male and female results had not dampened spirits.